Wednesday, March 27, 2024

No Irish Need Apply

I came across this image of the house my family lived in in 1960 when I was a tot. It was on the edge of Pierre, SD, and just visible to the right is empty land that extends for hundreds of miles. As you can see, the driveway isn't paved, and I don't see anyone being forced to pick cotton in the yard. Six people lived in that house and there was one bathroom. But some people tell us that our family is privileged and should pay reparations to them based solely on the color of their skin and what other people who are long dead did to their ancestors. The African people of 200 years ago do not have a monopoly on being victims of mistreatment. As someone with an Irish name, I know what the English did 200 years ago to my ancestors, but I'm not looking for a handout.

No comments:

Post a Comment